Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Why I Love My Birthday



Why do I love birthdays? Wow! Birthdays are a celebration of another God-given year to live and love and serve and shine. Another year to enjoy and cuddle  grandchildren and love my man and eat birthday cake! I LOVE birthday cake! Birthdays are days not to diet. Birthdays are days to celebrate the beauty of being alive. Birthdays are fun!

Many of my friends died young.  Three with cancer in their 40's dared dream that they would live to celebrate their 50th birthday,  attend their children's weddings, and  hold their grandbabies. At their bedsides, I vowed silently that I would never grieve birthdays. I would celebrate them. In memory and in honor of  dear friends I loved whose lives ended in sickness, car crashes, and wars, I celebrate you and how your life touched mine.  Because of you, my life is richer and my birthdays are more fun. I remember you as I treasure each year God gives me to live. May I never waste precious time.

"Good people pass away; the godly often die before their time.
But no one seems to care or understand that God is protecting them from the evil to come.
For those who follow godly paths will rest in peace when they die."
Isaiah 57:1

Here is this year's silly birthday poem. I write because writing makes me happy and today is my Happy Birthday!

Oh, man alive!
How could I no longer be 65?

Am I really 66
When I still enjoy playing pick up stix?

Oh my, oh my, I'm in quite a fix.
I'm not sure I like being 66.

After all, I still order BABY cones at Lakeside Licks
So how can I be 66?

When setting goals, never in my top 10 picks
Was even the thought of being 66.

Still remember boys looking at me as one of the cute chicks!
No more — today I'm 66

For fun I made a cake from a mix
But, alas, there was no room for 66 wicks.

Can you even be 66
Without 66 wicks?

Enough of these silly tricks.
I thank God for blessing me times 66.

I smile and realize in another year if I'm not in Heaven
I'll reach that beautiful age of 67.

 Splashes of Serenity on me today! After all, it's my birthday and I thank God I am alive!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love hearing from you! Thanks for sharing!