Thursday, February 25, 2021

My Journey with Covid — Isolated, in Covid Prison


The doors closed. Then another set of doors closed.  In covidland (as the covid ward was called),  I was placed behind two sets of doors in isolation.  

 I don't know if this was one of my hallucinations or not, but covidland hallways were decorated with red, yellow, green, and blue squares going in a row — like Candyland. Whether I imagined that or not, I did laugh when I saw the squares. Laughter is good medicine, so I was on my way to healing as soon as I hit the covidland floor.

When cancer came five years ago, I determined to see my cancer as an opportunity and not an obstacle in my life. Believing that God ordains every day, I looked for and anticipated opportunities to be used by God and to learn more of God while in isolation. I trusted Him to carry me along the covid way no matter which color square we landed.

The two sets of doors shut and I knew I could shout or scream and no one would hear me. So, I did just that! I shouted praise to God and screamed (actually, I sang) hymns to God. A healing balm filled my soul as I cried out prayers of love and thankfulness. 

Being in isolation, with a not-very-long oxygen hose connecting my nose with a life-sustaining oxygen tank anchored to the wall, I had no means of escape. I was in covid prison.

But God. He reminded me of Joseph in prison. In the Bible, we read the account:

 " . . . [the guard] put them [Paul and Silas] in the inner cell and 
fastened their feet in the stocks. 
About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, 
and the other prisoners were listening to them." 
Acts 16:24-25

I love that they sang "and other prisoners were listening." God gives us an audience when we sing praises. In isolation (and in all of life) we have a choice. We can sing or we can sass. Be nice or be nasty. (I always recommend the "be nice" especially in a hospital where other people hold the needle). What good does nasty and sassy do us? None. Instead,

"Rejoice always,
 pray continually,
 give thanks in all circumstances;
 for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
 Thessalonians 5:16:18

God's will for me that day was to sing in a covid prison. What joy to know, as prisoners listened to Paul, a nurse listened to me.

"Wow! Last night you couldn't put two words together. 
This morning I come in and you are singing!"  

She smiled and placed the stethoscope on my chest.

 "Now, let's hear what's happening in your heart."

"Jesus is happening in my heart! Hallelujah!"

I replied without hesitation.

The 2020 pandemic feels like isolation and prison to many of us. No matter our troubles, we can know Jesus is happening in our hearts. Hallelujah! Sing out! Rejoice always! Pray without ceasing! In everything give thanks! And people will listen.



Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love hearing from you! Thanks for sharing!