Monday, February 22, 2021

My Journey with Covid-19 — Hallucinations




God provided entertainment along my covid way and during my hospital stay in the form of hallucinations. 

Covid-19 hits people in many ways. There is no rhyme or reason to this disease. Some lose lung function, others have heart damage, and  not a few have brain impairment. Fortunately, when covid enters the brain, it does not stay. There is no permanent brain damage. Just some stories to tell your grandkids along the way. Enjoy my three run-ins with hallucinations:

1. Honestly, the hundreds of frogs on my ceiling were adorable. They entertained me through some long covid days. 

2. When a friend visited, I was surprised and happy to see her. How did she evade the isolation guards? Visitors were prohibited. But, there she was at my bedside ready to put some fun in my day. 

"Your bed looks too small. Let's make it bigger. In fact, let's turn it into a big boat!"

Next thing I knew, my friend and I were flying around the room in a beautiful and colorful boat. What fun!!! After a time, I grew tired and dizzy and asked my friend to stop the boat.

"Alright," she said reluctantly. "But look at this room. It's a mess! I'm going to move all the furniture around and make your room beautiful!"

When I woke up, my furniture was all in a different place. I have no idea how that happened. The nurses accused me of getting out of bed and moving the furniture, although they had no explanation how I had the strength.  Or, perhaps, that was an hallucination too!

3. Waking up, I had no idea who I was, where I was, or why I was? The walls were bare, the furniture unfamiliar. Where am I? What's my name? Why am I here? I had no clue. My eyes roamed the room until I saw the person at the top of this blog post. (She was not an hallucination). I realized then that I had been abducted by space aliens! Yikes. My nurse was kind and assured me I was Elaine in Corning Hospital being treated for covid-19.

God reminded me, and I want to remind you:

God knows your name.

He knows the walls about you.

He holds you and He will never let you go.

"Behold, I have engraved you on the palms of my  hands;
Your walls are continually before me."
Isaiah 49:16

God is not an hallucination.

God is not a space alien.

God is real.

He will knock down those walls of doubt and fear.

Cling to Jesus.

He'll get you through all of life's crises.

Further reading on Covid-19 hallucinations:

According to a recent review of studies in Psychology Research and Behavior Management, COVID-19 infections have been triggering such hallucinations . . .  

It's not fully understood why this happens, but one idea is that patients with severe COVID-19 infection “may have a little brain damage from chronically low levels of oxygen going to the brain, due to COVID causing the lungs not to oxygenate the blood as well,” explains Pravin George, a staff neurointensivist at Cleveland Clinic. “It could also be that COVID itself is attacking the brain directly in certain patients.”

The good news is the brain damage is temporary. I am now in control of all my thoughts. The frogs are gone. My furniture isn't moving. And I know who I am, where I am, and why I am here. Hallelujah! 

Have a splashes of serenity kind of day! 

Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love hearing from you! Thanks for sharing!