Tuesday, November 5, 2019

What Every Mother With Cancer Needs to Know

Oh dear cancer mom, how my heart aches for you. I know the feelings, the fears, the thoughts that go through your mind and rip at your heart. Whether stage 1 or stage 4, questions we can't answer loom large.

How will my cancer and my possible death affect my child? 

 What will happen to my child when I am gone? 

Will my precious ones make it through the pain?  

Fears for our children are stronger than fears for ourselves. In the uncertainty of the unknown, we must cling to the promises of God. Promises not only to us, but promises to our children as well.

"The Lord Himself goes before you and will be with you;
He will never leave you nor forsake you.
Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."
Deuteronomy 31:8 (NIV)

God is with us and God is with our children. He promises. He will neither leave nor forsake our loved ones.

God doesn't take us and then leave our children alone. He stays. I've seen God's Presence in the lives of children whose mothers died young. Angels seem to encircle them in human and divine form giving needed care and love. Of course mom is missed, but the family survives and is all right because God watches over them. His Presence is sensed and embraced.
    
"For He will command His angels concerning you 
to guard you in all your ways;" 
Psalm 91:11 (NIV)

Yesterday I was blessed to read a son's birthday wish to his mother only months after her cancer death. Derek West's words touched my heart and I'm sure his mother, Corinna Parker Walkowiak, smiled big watching God reveal the Hope of Heaven to her son.


"Happy Birthday, Mom.
 It would have been your 48th here but 
it's your first in Heaven.
 I remember last year having a strong urge to make you a cake, 
even though I hadn't ever made one for your birthday before.
 At the time, I thought it was just me getting older and
 feeling the need to take care of those things on my loved ones' birthdays, 
but in the back of my mind I wondered 
what things might be like this year with your cancer.

When you first died
 I couldn't think much about you being in heaven because
 all I could feel was that you weren't here anymore. 
Thankfully, over the last month or so 
the hope of heaven has been revealed a little clearer and 
I can actually believe today is the best birthday you've ever had.

I miss you so much and 
wish I could make you another cake. 
See your low-key love being the center of attention 
while asking everyone else about how they're doing. 
Enjoy the warmth and ease of being around you.

But it's good knowing you're home.
 Soaking in the greatest celebration everyday. 
Happy Birthday, Mom.
I love you."

Thank you Derek West for sharing your birthday wishes with us. What a tribute to your wonderful mom. Corinna Parker Walkowiak who was indeed special. A healthy woman with a giving heart, she was first diagnosed when she volunteered to be tested as a potential liver donor. Corinna went to Heaven April 25, 2019, age 47. 

May we all have splashes of serenity and peace knowing that God is with us. He won't forsake us and He won't forsake our families. 


Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love hearing from you! Thanks for sharing!