Thursday, October 16, 2014

When Life Disrupts Your Serenity, God May Be Sending a Gift




DAN! A SPIDER!!!   Oh my, it was  big. And yellow! I never saw a yellow spider. That should have been my first clue this spider was special.

Sitting on the patio in our new home, I breathed joy as nature's beauty surrounded me and our house in the woods. A place we named Serenity Lane.

 Looking up, I gasped at the site of the yellow spider  (I'm guessing three inches from end to end) busy weaving  a huge, odd looking web, and disrupting my serenity.

Dan the man came to my rescue and the spider and web disappeared. I was thankful  to return to the peace of the spiderless patio, but the writer in me couldn't forget that big bug. So I googled "yellow spider." What a surprise!

He was a "writer spider" named so because his web looks like  a written message (or words in a book!). Writer spiders are good to have around  because they are harmless to humans and they eat flies and other pests.

God gave me a writing buddy  on our moving day. How quickly I judged that spider and wanted it gone. I'm sad my writer spider and I won't sit on the patio together creating words and sentences in our own languages.

I wonder how many people or circumstances or ideas we find annoying or serenity sapping and all along God meant as a blessing.  Don't be quick to brush off that person sapping your time, the circumstance that interferes with your daily plan, the idea that sounds like an impossibility, or the spider over your head. They all may be gifts God is sending you for your pleasure and His purposes.

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."
Romans 8:28


With love from Serenity Lane,

Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. I needed this today, as I recently became the unplanned owner of a puppy who will one day grow into a very large dog. I do love him, he is a lot of work, but I am believing his presence may be a blessing in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like at the very least your puppy will be writing fodder.Keep looking up, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful orb-weaver spider! (or, common garden spider, if you prefer.)

    They're amazing, and one of the most beautiful spiders. Unless Dan did away with her, she'll likely find a new place to take up residence, some sheltered bush most likely, where she'll help keep your insect population under control.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep looking for a baby or sister writer spider to continue the unfinished story written in his web. My grandson found one in his farm field, took a pic, and sent it to me. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful garden (orb-weaver) spider! I've seen a few of them in my time and yes, they can be startling. :-) Great message there, Elaine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, God is so crazy cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen a yellow spider, Terri. I do hope one returns for I do need a writing buddy. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes He is, Diana. Yes He is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! God is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I think it was Charlotte! Except I have a grandgirl named Charlotte who may not appreciate my naming this spider Charlotte. Smile!!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love hearing from you! Thanks for sharing!