Wednesday, January 18, 2012

God's Call to Write


Many desire to write a book. Not me. It wasn't on my radar or my "to do" list. Writing takes discipline and many hours staring at a computer screen. I liked partying with people and I hoped to never own a computer.

In my wildest thoughts, I never envisioned that one day I'd be signing books at Barnes & Nobel. But God had a plan for me that I had never imagined.

For most of my adult life, I enjoyed writing in my journals. I wrote about my life, my thoughts, my faith, my family, and all things I wanted my grandchildren to know after I was dead. Placing those journals in my file cabinet, I had one hope: One day when I am gone, my family will find them and learn about my life. But God had other plans for them.

One Sunday I went to church. Well, actually, I go to church every Sunday. This Sunday my husband preached on the parable of the talents. In that parable God is angry with the lazy servant for burying his talent. To my surprise (perhaps "to my horror" is more accurate), God spoke to my heart during that service. He said, "What good are those writings doing buried in your file cabinet if no one reads them?"

I knew God was calling me to write. But I didn't have a clue how to write a book or how to get it published.

Do you? Is God calling you to write? If so, check back for more of this story in my next blog.

Hoping you have a splash of serenity from God as He reveals to you His plan for your life. I hope you are listening!

"'For I know the plans I have for you,'declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future...'" Jeremiah 29:11

Be blessed,
Elaine

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Elaine. This is a similar story to mine. I'd written articles and columns, but resisted whenever someone told me I needed to write a book. Finally, God got through to me via my son. Now, he's doing the drawings for it!

    Rejoicing with you,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elaine,

    The moment I saw the flyer for "Christian Writer's Gathering" at the Delta Lake Bible Conference the Holy Spirit stirred in my heart. It was as if, all of a sudden, I understood what I was suppose to be doing with my writing. It wasn't a hobby, but a gift. God is amazing.

    Lisa M Buske
    http://lisabuske.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete

I would love hearing from you! Thanks for sharing!