Saturday, November 21, 2009

A Thanksgiving Greeting to Treasure

The world calls him developmentally disabled. I don't think so. We met on a street corner today. Avoiding eye contact, I was a little afraid of this man dressed in shabby clothes, carrying over-sized bags, and smiling a toothless grin.

Looking straight at me, he stuttered, "H-h-have a gr-gr-eat holiday this week!"

Startled, I said, "I hope you do too."

Excited, he said without a stutter, "Oh, I will! God is so good to me! I thank Him every day. He has blessed me."

"Me too! I love Jesus."

"Me too!!!" he proclaimed.

His mouth opened wide and our hearts were joined as brother and sister in Christ.

I walked away wondering why I don't greet everyone I meet with a smile and a blessing and realizing intelligence is way over rated.

Have a great holiday week!
Elaine

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Elaine, I am so glad you didn't miss out on this wonderful blessing! I agree: intelligence is overrated!

    Bless you,
    Jen
    Audience of ONE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jeanette. May your day be blessed as you write for Him!

    Hugs,
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete

I would love hearing from you! Thanks for sharing!