Saturday, November 21, 2009

A Thanksgiving Greeting to Treasure

The world calls him developmentally disabled. I don't think so. We met on a street corner today. Avoiding eye contact, I was a little afraid of this man dressed in shabby clothes, carrying over-sized bags, and smiling a toothless grin.

Looking straight at me, he stuttered, "H-h-have a gr-gr-eat holiday this week!"

Startled, I said, "I hope you do too."

Excited, he said without a stutter, "Oh, I will! God is so good to me! I thank Him every day. He has blessed me."

"Me too! I love Jesus."

"Me too!!!" he proclaimed.

His mouth opened wide and our hearts were joined as brother and sister in Christ.

I walked away wondering why I don't greet everyone I meet with a smile and a blessing and realizing intelligence is way over rated.

Have a great holiday week!
Elaine

2 comments:

Jeanette Levellie said...

Oh, Elaine, I am so glad you didn't miss out on this wonderful blessing! I agree: intelligence is overrated!

Bless you,
Jen
Audience of ONE

Elaine W. Miller said...

Thanks, Jeanette. May your day be blessed as you write for Him!

Hugs,
Elaine

There was an error in this gadget