Tuesday, November 15, 2011

It Was The Best of Times--It was the Worst of Times


My book Splashes of Serenity: Bathtime Reflections for Drained Moms relates true stories of people dear to my life. In celebration of its 3rd printing, I hope readers enjoy an update on the lives of some written about in my book, Splashes of Serenity: Bathtime Reflections for Drained Moms.

My baby brother's story and an excerpt from "It was the Worst of Times--It was the Best of Times" follows:

"This was only his second Christmas, and it was to be his last. My baby brother's cancer was diagnosed when he was nine months old. Six months to live was the hope we were given. It was the worst of times....

I hurt. I suffered the pain of losing my...brother....

My life changed at age sixteen. I realized a bad hair day no longer meant the world was ending.... People became more important than possessions.
Looking back now, I realize the blessings of this experience.

What would I be like today if I had been spared this suffering? I suspect shallower, less compassionate,.... God used the worst time of my life...it became the best thing that ever happened to me. My life has been better because of the pain.

And the best is last: God performed a miracle. My brother lives!"

Today, November 15, is my brother's birthday. I'm with him in Colorado celebrating the precious gift God gave to me when He gave me a baby brother and when that brother had cancer. I'm a better person because of the pain.

What a splash of serenity to know whatever happens in life, I can look forward to the lessons learned from suffering.

For more on my brother and "The Gift of Suffering" please see http://www.FancyLittleThings.com today. I'm their guest blogger.

Happy Birthday to Tyler!

Elaine

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story, Elaine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elaine,

    Thank you for sharing the hope, joy, and thankfulness that flows from the pain and heartache experienced at such a young age. :) You are touching many hearts - Happy Birthday Tyler! Celelbrating the wonderfully made you!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

I would love hearing from you! Thanks for sharing!