Wednesday, November 30, 2011

I'm Dreaming of an Organized Christmas!

Are you like me--a disorganized mess in December? Somehow, with God's help, I manage to get it all together and by Christmas the house is decorated, the grandchildren are excited, and the gifts are under the tree. But at what cost?

I find my time with the Lord is less in December than any other month. That breaks my heart. It must break God's too. This year I will try again to set my priorities and know peace and joy through the entire month of December not just Christmas morn.

Marnie Swedberg posted a "beat-the-date" deadline list for Christmas 2011 on her blog, http://marnieswedberg.wordpress.com. I found it helpful. I've revised it a bit, but I hope this organization will give you a lot more splashes of serenity in your December:

1. Begin Advent devotions. Sing "Deck the Halls" and begin decorating house--interior.

2. Sing "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" as you finalize Christmas gift list and budget. Kiss your honey!

3. Sing "It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas" and finish inside and decorate house-exterior.

4. Sunday. Enjoy the Sabbath. Go to Church. Rest. Sing "O Come, O Come Emmanuel."

5. Create the Christmas weekend agenda. Sing "The 12 Days of Christmas."

6. Send invitations or confirmations for Christmas events.

7. Determine baking roster and create shopping list. Go for a good walk and sing "Silver Bells."

8. Write Christmas letter. Listen to Handel's "Messiah."

9. Grocery shop for baking supplies. Say "Merry Christmas" to everyone you meet!

10. Do Christmas baking. Take baked goodies to your neighbors.

11. Sunday. Go to church. Rest. Celebrate. Sing your favorite carols.

12. Address and sign Christmas cards. Sing "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas."

13. Mail Christmas cards, letters, and gifts. Pray that each recipient will be blessed.

14. Prepare holiday menus and shopping list. Better get some exercise!

15-17. Finish Christmas shopping and wrapping. Pray! Pray! Pray! And say "Merry Christmas" to everyone you meet!

18. Sunday. Take a break! Rest! Celebrate! Take your family Christmas carolling around the neighborhood.

19. Grocery shop for weekend meals.

20-22. Pre-cook anything you can. Take a nap.

23. Clean like a crazy woman. Not really. Afterall, remember what it all looks like at 9:00 a.m. Christmas morn.

24-25. Enjoy Christmas!

Reading that list helped me feel more organized. We'll see if it works. Whatever you do in December, don't forget our Savior Baby Jesus came simply. He didn't arrive all decorated and smelling good. What I'd really like to do this December is retreat with my God and just know Him better than I did in November. Now that's a goal that should be on everyone's to-do list.

Merry Christmas blessings, friends,

Elaine

2 comments:

  1. I'm doing pretty good this year, but I agree it's sad that in December it seems that Christ gets pushed aside in the busyness of "activity." :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elaine,

    Thank you for this post. As I look around my undecorated house and the freezer bare of our traditional Christmas cookies (that were baked the Wed. before Thanksgiving) I was wondering, "How will I ever get it all done?" yet when I look at what has been occupying my time, it has been Jesus so I'm not going to worry about my list so much. My list won't be as long as the one listed yet the important stuff will get done. Thanks for the reminder and encouragement.

    Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love hearing from you! Thanks for sharing!