Friday, May 21, 2010

Why Attend a Writer's Conference

If Christians stop writing, what choices will people have at the bookstore and the super market check-out aisle? Trips to the grocery store are enough to spur me on to write and to encourage Christians to publish their stories.

"Get thee to a writer's conference" is my first suggestion to anyone who asks how to get their book published. At Montrose Christian Writer's Conference I sold my first article and learned to write a proposal that became my first book. At Greater Philadelphia Christian Writer's Conference I met my sweet agent, Diana Flegal. My writing world expanded as fellow scribes became precious friends at writer's conferences. Not to mention, you'll laugh yourself silly. Fill a room with writers and let the wit roll. It's worth it just for that dose of medicine.

Last summer during Family Bible Conference at Delta Lake Bible Conference Center, I was approached by two people who share my passion for writing. Debbie Tuthill, a student enrolled in the Christian Writer's Guild, and Dave Fessenden, managing editor for CLC Publications, both came to me within hours of each other with the same thought: Delta Lake would be a great place to have a Writer's Conference. That afternoon Debbie, Dave, and I met under a maple tree. It was apparent this was God's plan for Upstate New York and Delta Lake Bible Conference Center.

The fruit of that meeting grew into the first Upstate New York Christian Writers' Gathering being held at Delta Lake Bible Conference Center in Rome, New York, on July 8-9, 2010. Please consider joining us for two high-energy afternoons. Six seminars covering fiction, non-fiction, writing for adults and for children, and dramatic scripts are offered for a total cost of $25. That's a deal! Faculty include Jon Graf, founding editor of Pray! magazine and the author of six books; Dave Fessenden, managing editor for CLC Publications and the author of four books; Hope Marston, author of numerous children's books; Jim Bogoniewski, writer of over 120 plays; and yours truly, Elaine W. Miller, author of two books. Bring your family and enjoy the added atmosphere of Family Bible Conference with programs for all ages. For more information, please contact me or www.DeltaLake.org under the tab, "Family Camp."

My passion to encourage writers won't end at Delta Lake this summer. I am thrilled to join many authors, editors, and publishers on the faculty at Montrose Christian Writer's Conference in Montrose, PA, July 25-30, 2010. Montrose holds a special place in my heart as this is where my dream and God's call to be a writer was realized. I'll be leading two workshops: "Marketing Your Ministry" and "A Writer Speaks." For more information please see WWW.MONTROSEBIBLE.ORG.

You are the only one who can write your story. Please don't let what God has done in your life remain in your computer or your brain, never to be read by a world hungry for God. Write it and write it well. Learn how at a Christian Writer's Conference. Hope to see you there. Introduce yourself to me. I'd love to share some wit and some splashes of serenity with you.

Blessings on your writing,

Elaine W. Miller
Author/Speaker
www.SplashesofSerenity.com
SplashesofSerenity@yahoo.com

2 comments:

  1. Hi Elaine, I read about you over at Diane's blog. I see you are from Rome. I used to live in PA and attended Montrose Bible Christian writers conference. Were you a speaker there by any chance? your name is familiar to me:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Terri, Yes, I have attended Montrose for many years. That's where I sold my first article. I taught there a few years ago and I'll be back teaching there this summer. Are you attending? Hope so. Any friend of Diana's is a friend of mine. Where do you live now?

    ReplyDelete

I would love hearing from you! Thanks for sharing!