Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Cancer Update



Woo hoo! Have I got an update for you! Thank you to all who have prayed me through the last eight years of cancer treatments and my bout with severe covid. God's Army is the best Army and you all deserve a medal for supporting me in prayer and in many other ways. There was not a day I felt unloved by God or all of you. Thank you.

Let me remind you, in January 2016 I was diagnosed with "high risk" chronic lymphocytic leukemia. "High risk" because three of my chromosomes are not normal. (Glad they didn't check my brain!) The prognosis was 

"Rapid progression   
inferior survival, 
shorter survival time 
and resistance to treatment." 

Bottom line:
There was no treatment for me,
 I was not expected to live,
 death would happen soon, 
and I would go fast. 

"We'll keep you comfortable" 
was all the hope I received from the doctor that day.

But God!!! 

I became ill the following December. Expecting to cash in on the "keep you comfortable" promise, I returned to the oncologist.

 Great news!!! 
FDA had just approved a treatment for "high risk" cll. 

Three pills a day, which has now been reduced to one pill a day, my leukemia stopped progressing.

 Within two months,
 my blood counts were normal! 
Hallelujah!!!

"This is phenomenal!!!" 
my oncologist cheered. 
I assured him not only do we have a God of the phenomenal, 
but a God of the impossible!

The medication (imbruvica) was new and doctors hoped it would buy me time. Three years, then five years, now seven years. Today I learned that imbruvica has been so successful, "high risk" cll is no longer labeled "high risk." 

Imbruvica works! 
This wonder drug has stood the test of time. 

Other than my bout with covid, I have remained healthy, strong, and active. leukemia lurks inside me, but imbruvica acts like a fortress keeping it from going any further. 

I thank God today, but I also thank cancer researchers and doctors. These men and women sacrifice much to spend long hours glaring at test tubes and people's blood. Thank you, dear ones, called by God to heal this vicious disease. Three cheers and many prayers go up for you!!! Thank you!!!

"For nothing will be impossible with God."
Luke 1:37

God shows Himself in many ways when cancer hits home. I write about my cancer journey in Praise the Lord and Pass the Chemo: A Hopeful Response to a Hard Reality. You can purchase a copy on Amazon or directly from me. 



Please pray for cancer research. I am so thankful.

Signature


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love hearing from you! Thanks for sharing!