Saturday, January 5, 2019

When God Writes Your New Year's Resolutions



Weary of my list of New Year's resolutions broken year after year, I decided there must be a better way. Why not ask God to write my New Year's resolutions. And so, each January I pray and ask God for one word and one Bible verse He wants me to concentrate on throughout my year. A list seems impossible, but one word and one verse, you and I can do. Plus, we don't have to do it. God prepares us through the power of the Holy Spirit to grasp and conquer that one word and one verse.

My word for 2019 is (drum roll, please):

Eternity
My verse: 
" . . . set your hearts on things above . . . . 
Set your minds on things above, 
not on earthly things."
Colossians 3: 1-3 (NIV)

When cancer surprised me, my life changed in miraculous ways. 

I started to really live!

Every moment a precious gift. 

Each breath a thank offering. 

Never wishing for a day to pass quickly or the weekend to get here fast.

Refusing to be dragged down in the earthly dregs,

 Politics became unimportant, television stopped entertaining me. 

Feeling the wind in my hair and grass under my feet brought refreshing.

I loved deeper, lived fuller, laughed louder, sang sweeter and shined brighter!

The things of this world (the earthly things) seemed to blur 
as the heavenlies became clear.

We are commanded in Colossians 3 to set our hearts and minds on things above. In Hebrews 12, we are reminded to keep our eyes fixed on Jesus. Wow! This is where our peace and joy reside. Not on this earth, but above. Seems this was God's intention when He promised believers an abundant and victorious life on earth and eternal life in Heaven.

This year I will focus on eternity. The eternal things are what matters. The earthly, well, those troubles just drag us down and keep our eyes from looking up. I'm not going there this year. My eyes and heart and mind are looking only to my Lord Jesus. I expect my best year ever living an abundant life on earth and anticipating one day (far in the future my doctors tell me) a glorious home in Heaven! 

Life and death is a win/win when your eyes, mind, and heart are fixed on things above!

What's your word and verse for 2019? Ask God. I'm sure he'll bring that word to mind.

Have a Splashes of Serenity 2019!
Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love hearing from you! Thanks for sharing!